Small Wind Research and Demonstration Site
The Small Wind Research and Demonstration Site is a unique program to give first-hand experience with wind power technology. This facility is open to the public to see and hear wind turbines in operation. Tours and workshops are hosted at the facility, which is maintained by ASU students, faculty, and staff. The turbines currently in operation at the site include:
Listed from left to right in the photo.
- African Wind Power 3.6 (Returned To TVA)
- Bergey XL 1 (Returned To TVA)
- Southwest Windpower H 40 (Now the Whisper 100)
- Southwest Windpower Whisper 175 (Replaced by 70' Skystream)
- Southwest Windpower Air X (decommissioned for Earth Turbine)
- Jacobs 31-20 (decommissioned for new turbine)
- NEW! 35' Skystream
- NEW! Southwest Windpower Air Breeze
Check out the Fat Spaniel monitoring of our 70' Skystream
Map and Directions to the North Carolina Small Wind Site
From Eastern NC:
- Take 40 West to 421 North (to Boone).
- Take 105 South (to Seven Devils) (12 miles)
- Turn Right onto 184 West/ Tynecastle Hwy (into Banner Elk)
- In Banner Elk, turn left at the stop light, travel approximately .4 miles and bear right onto Beech Mountain Parkway (HWY 184).
- Continue on Beech Mountain Parkway approx 5 miles until you see a large building with a blue roof on your left, Beech Mountain Sports.
- Once you get to Beech Mountain Sports, turn RIGHT onto Elderberry Ridge Rd. (you will see signs for Pinnacle Inn)
- Approx 0.2 miles, you will bear left at the Pinnacle sign.
- Approx 0.2 miles further, the road will take a sharp left, but you will continue straight on a dirt driveway, which will bring you into the parking area for the Wind Research and Demonstration Site. (look for signs)