Small Wind Power Systems, with Dennis Scanlin, Brent Summerville, and Michael Uchal
Saturday, October 29, 2011
Please join us at our Wind Research and Demonstration site, located on Beech Mountain, for this one day workshop. This workshop will provide a complete overview of wind turbine technology and wind resource assessment. There will be both classroom and "hands on" activities.
Appalachian State is also home to a class 5 wind-site, located on Beech Mountain. The Small Wind Research and Demonstration Site is a unique program to give first-hand experience with wind power technology. This facility is open to the public to see and hear wind turbines in operation. Tours and workshops are hosted at the facility, which is maintained by ASU students, faculty, and staff.
$150 / $75 students
*Students enrolled in any degree-seeking program from any institution qualify for the student rate.
This workshop will be held at Beech Mountain Wind Research and Demonstration Site.
Map and Directions to the North Carolina Small Wind Site (Beech Mountain Wind Research and Demonstration Site)
From Eastern NC:
- Take 40 West to 421 North (to Boone).
- Take 105 South (to Seven Devils) (12 miles)
- Turn Right onto 184 West/ Tynecastle Hwy (into Banner Elk)
- In Banner Elk, turn left at stop light, and follow sign toward right for Beech Mountain (HWY 184).
- Continue on Beech Mountain Parkway approx 5 miles until you see a large building with a blue roof on your left, Beech Mountain Sports.
- Once you get to Beech Mountain Sports, turn RIGHT onto Elderberry Ridge Rd. (you will see signs for Pinnacle Inn)
- Approx 0.2 miles, you will bear left at the Pinnacle sign.
- Approx 0.2 miles further, the road will take a sharp left, but you will continue straight on a dirt driveway, which will bring you into the parking area for the Wind Research and Demonstration Site. (look for signs)
* The Pinnacle Inn is located next to our Wind Demonstration site. Lodiging is available, but book soon, as October is a popular month for the leaf-lookers!
* Other lodging info can be found at www.visitboonenc.com.
*Banner Elk, NC also has lodging options, closer to the site.
* Weather forecast: www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone
* Maps and directions: maps.appstate.edu
Who Should attend these workshops? ... basically anyone
* Renewable energy Installers, contractors, dealers
* Electricians and plumbers
* Land, home, business, or farm owners
* Students, tradespersons and inventors
* Elected officials
* Utility companies/cooperatives
* Any energy user interested in harnessing power from solar, wind or water.
Regional Airport options
Asheville Regional Airport
Mileage from Boone: 105 miles
Drive time: 2 hours
Directions: Hwy. 105 S to Linville, Hwy. 221 S to Marion, I-40 W to Asheville, I- 26 E follow directions to the airport.
Boone Airport - very small
(No scheduled services. 3,200 ft runway)
Directions: Hwy 321 to Deerfield Rd, Follow Deerfield Rd and turn right on Bamboo Rd southeast of town. The airport is on your right.
Charlotte Douglas Airport
704-359-4013 (international airport)
Mileage from Boone: 100 miles
Drive Time: 2 hours
Directions: Hwy. 321 S to Gastonia, I-85 N to Charlotte, take Billy Graham Parkway exit. Follow signs to the airport.
Between Johnson City and Bristol, TN
Mileage from Boone: 75 miles
Drive time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Directions: Hwy. 105 S to Hwy. 184 (Banner Elk turn-off). Proceed through Banner Elk to stoplight. At stoplight turn left onto Hwy. 194 .At Elk Falls turn right onto Hwy. 19 E to Elizabethton, TN. In Elizabethton continue on 19E until it intersects with Hwy 11E/19. Turn right on 11E/19 to Hwy 394 at Bluff City, TN. Turn left (west) on Hwy. 394 to Blountville, TN. In Blountville take Hwy. 126 and then at this intersection with Hwy. 75 turn left to the airport.
Piedmont Triad Airport
336-665-5666 or 800-428-4322
Mileage from Boone: 97 miles
Drive Time: 2 hours
Directions: Hwy. 421 S to Winston-Salem, NC. In Winston-Salem take I-40E to Greensboro, NC. (not business I-40). Outside Greensboro take exit 210 (Hwy. 68N) to the airport.
Any questions regarding the workshops, please contact Alexandra Patey:
email@example.com 828-262-8818 / 843-412-1506
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Looking for a job in the world of Renewable Energy? Visit www.greenjobs.com for green job listings.